4.4 Use Policy
The Southeast Arkansas Regional Library supports the rights of all individuals to free and equal access to information and the use of the Library without discrimination, intimidation, threat of harm or invasion of privacy.
Respect for Library Materials
The role of the Southeast Arkansas Regional Library is to protect collections, equipment and property for present and future users. Intentionally damaging, destroying or stealing any materials, equipment or property belonging to the Library, another customer or staff member is prohibited. Library users are advised to keep personal belongings with them at all times.
Respect for Library Facilities
The goal of the Southeast Arkansas Regional Library is to provide an enjoyable, clean, and comfortable environment for all library users. Examples of behavior that is not conducive to providing a clean and hygienic environment include but are not limited to:
- Eating or drinking, except in designated areas.
- Using restrooms for bathing or washing clothes.
- Bringing animals inside Library buildings, with the exception of service animals and those allowed during special Library programs.
- Tobacco use is prohibited inside all Library buildings and within 25 feet of entryways. Tobacco use is defined as the use of any tobacco product (i.e.) cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and electronic cigarettes.
- Roller skates, scooters, skateboards, or other similar devices may not be used on Library property.
Respect for the Rights of Others
The role of the Southeast Arkansas Regional Library is to provide a comfortable and welcoming environment for all library users. We ask Library users to be respectful of each other and behave in a manner that does not disrupt other Library users or interfere with the normal operation of the Library. Examples of disruptive behaviors include but are not limited to:
- Using profane, obscene or abusive language.
- Creating unreasonable noise and/or engaging in a violent, riotous or disorderly manner.
- Using audible devices without headphones or using headphones set at a volume that disturbs others. Using any communication device in a manner that disturbs others.
- Fraudulent use of another’s library card and/or number for any purpose.
Respect for the Safety of Others
The Southeast Arkansas Regional Library seeks to provide its users with a safe and pleasant library experience. To insure the safety of all users:
- No trespassing or entering Library property when banned.
- No soliciting, campaigning, petitioning or loitering in the Library or on Library premises.
- The Branch Manager may restrict adult use of Children’s area in order to ensure the adequate protection of the Library facilities and of persons and property.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited on Library property.
- Shirts and shoes are required.
- Children should not be left unattended in the Library or on Library premises. (See Unattended Children Policy).
Failure to follow guidelines for library use can result in being banned from the library premises. The Branch Manager will be responsible for keeping a record of offenses and for notifying the Director on the third offense.
- First Offense: One Week
- Second Offense: One Month
- Third Offense: Banned from Library
Application to the Regional Director must be made for reinstatement.
For any violation of these rules, the Director at any time may exclude any member of the public from the library premises. Violators of the rules who refuse to leave the library premises when requested are subject to arrest under the criminal trespass section of the Arkansas code.