The Southeast Arkansas Regional Library (SEARL) carefully selects social media tools as an important enhancement to communication, collaboration, and information exchange between SEARL staff, library users, and the general public. SEARL recognizes that new tools will emerge which have useful application in the library setting; thus, this policy addresses social media in general.
SEARL has established social media sites primarily in order to inform Library users about Library programs, events (including those co-sponsored with other organizations), and materials, and to encourage dialogue and the exchange of information and knowledge between users and Library staff about these programs, events and materials. The Library’s Social media sites may also be used to notify the general public of Library employment opportunities. The Library’s social media sites are not intended to be traditional public forums for the general exchange of ideas and viewpoints, but a limited forum for discussing library programs, events and materials. Courts have recognized that Libraries are limited purpose public forums, and as such, are only obligated to permit the public to exercise rights that are consistent with the nature of the Library and consistent with the government’s intent in designating the Library as a traditional public forum. All postings related to this mission statement (as so determined by the Library in its sole discretion) are permitted except as otherwise stated in this policy.
By joining, utilizing and/or posting on the Library’s social media sites, you agree to comply with this Policy.
Disclaimer: The Library is not responsible or liable for the content of postings by third parties on any Library sponsored social media site, and postings do not reflect the opinions or positions of the Southeast Arkansas Regional Library system, its employees, or its Board of Trustees.
Ownership: By posting on the Library’s social media sites, you give the Library permission to use your name, profile picture, and the content of any posting you make without compensation to you or liability on the part of the Library. This permission ends when you delete your posting.
Violations of this policy: Postings which the SEARL in its sole discretion, deems unpermitted under this policy, may be removed in whole or in part by the SEARL or its agents immediately upon discovery by the SEARL (or its agent) without prior notice. SEARL reserves the right to terminate accounts, ban or block users who have posted in violation of this policy on more than one occasion.
Postings that will not be permitted: Postings inconsistent with the stated purpose of the social media policy, as determined by the Library, in its sole discretion. The following examples of postings not permitted include, but are not limited to:
- Off topic and/or disruptive postings;
- Postings which contain obscene matter, cursing, or of a sexual nature. Postings must be appropriate for audiences of all ages to read and see as Library clients ages vary greatly;
- Disparaging, harassing, abusive, profane, or offensive postings;
- Postings that are hateful, threatening, pornographic, that contain graphic tor gratuitous violence;
- Potentially libelous or defamatory postings;
- Postings which contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information about any person, business, or entity;
- Postings which violate or potentially violate local, state, or federal laws, including, without limitation, intellectual property and copyright laws;
- Postings which discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, handicap, age, sexual orientation, creed, or ancestry;
- Postings which are sexually harassing, including, without limitation, epithets, slurs, negative stereotyping, sexual rumors that show hostility toward individuals based on gender, derogatory comments about individuals’ body or appearance, unwelcome sexual compliments, innuendos, suggestions, or jokes;
- Postings shall not include information for people, businesses, or agencies other than the library. Postings shall not be linked to any other account unless pre-approved by the Library Director and/or Digital Projects Coordinator.
The Library is a public space. All library programs occur in public venues. Attendees to library programs do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy, Photographs/video may be taken during library program. These photographs and video may be posted on library maintained social media accounts.
- An announcement will be made at the beginning of each program that library staff may be taking pictures or video to be posted on social media. “Programs, events, and classes may be photographed or videotaped for library promotional purposes. Please notify staff if you prefer not to be photographed.”